Candle magic can be as simple as blowing out a candle on your birthday cake and making a wish. However, in this post, we’re gonna go a step further. Instead of asking for your desire to come to fruition, you’ll assist and empower it to do so.
Whether you’re a beginner looking to manifest money, love, success, or health, candle magic can be a powerful tool for transformation! You might be surprised to learn that the simple act of lighting a certain colored candle can have a profound impact on your life.
Please note that I make every effort to ensure this information is correct and accurate through my own experiences and referencing sources throughout this article.
Posts on this site may contain affiliate links that allow me to earn a small commission from the purchases you make (at no extra cost to you!)
Table of Contents
What is Candle Magic?
The power you’re harnessing in candle magic is energized by the element of fire and symbolizes change, new beginnings, and transformation. By incorporating color magic into your spiritual practice with candles, you apply each color’s spiritual meaning to your intentions.
Candle magic is rooted in the same ideas and concepts as color therapy. Colors have specific vibrations and frequencies that can be used in many ways, including improving our mental wellness and spiritual practice.
Remember not to underestimate the power of scent in addition to colors. Scents can invoke powerful emotions and bring back strong memories.
One example of the link between colour and emotion is the common perception that red, orange, yellow, and brown hues are “warm,” while the blues, greens, and grays are “cold.”
The red, orange, and yellow hues are said to induce excitement, cheerfulness, stimulation, and aggression; the blues and greens security, calm, and peace; and the browns, grays, and blacks sadness, depression, and melancholy.
It must be remembered, however, that the psychological perception of colour is subjective, and only general comments about its features and uses can be made.Britannica – The Psychology of Colour
Candle magic is powerful and swift, so make sure you’re focusing on something you truly desire and are prepared to receive quickly.
The ritual of lighting candles goes back many years in human history and can be found in various spiritual practices. A lit candle symbolizes and joins the physical world with the spiritual.
Is Candle Magic Cultural Appropriation?
Candle magic has been practiced across many cultures and spiritual practices throughout history. Due to this, candle magic is not considered cultural appropriation as long as you avoid candles or rituals that are part of a closed practice (Voodoo, Hoodoo, Brujeria, etc).
Remember, always approach spiritual practices with respect for their origins and avoid appropriating cultural practices or beliefs that don’t belong to you. Ultimately, the key to avoiding cultural appropriation is to educate oneself about the origins of spiritual practices and approach them with sensitivity and cultural awareness.
Types of Spell Candles Used in Magic
The candle you choose becomes an essential part of your candle magic ritual. Each candle possesses its own unique energies, colors, and properties. These elements, combined with your magic, will help your spell or intention fully manifest.
When it comes to the style of a candle, you can use any type that suits you as long as you keep your intention clear.
Some spiritual practitioners believe you need to burn a candle down entirely for the spell to release fully. Due to this, they’ll often buy smaller candles like tealights or votives. However, this is not required and is a personal preference.
Tapered candles have a beautiful elongated shape and burn at a steady rate, making them an excellent choice if you want to do a spell in one day. When choosing a tapered candle length, keep in mind they burn about an inch per hour.
Burn Time: Approximately twelve hours for a 12-inch long tapered candle
These slender candles are smaller than tapered candles and are sometimes known as spell candles or ritual candles. They are ideal for focused rituals and shorter spells. Chime candles come in a variety of colors to align with your desired spell or intention.
Burn Time: Approximately two to three hours
These petite and enchanting candles, nestled in their little cups, bring a soft and cozy ambiance to candle magic. Tea lights are easily adaptable to various intentions and spellwork. Feel free to use one or as many as you like!
Burn Time: Approximately two to five hours
Votive candles are small, cylindrical candles that are typically placed in a votive holder. They are commonly used in spiritual and religious practices, including candle magic.
Burn Time: Approximately fifteen hours
The small size and wide availability of birthday candles make them convenient for quick and spontaneous spells or intentions. Whether you’re seeking to manifest happiness, abundance, or love, birthday candles can add a playful and lighthearted touch to your candle magic practice. Plus, they come in a variety of colors!
Pro Tip: By the way, birthday candles store nicely in an Altoids tin (perfect for traveling or for a witch still in the broom closet)
Burn Time: Approximately 5 to 15 minutes
Pillar candles stand tall and sturdy, symbolizing strength and stability. With their extended burn time, they are well-suited for long-lasting spells or rituals that span multiple days. They come in different sizes and colors too!
Burn Time: Approximately 50 – 60 hours
Seven Day Candle
Also known as novena candles, seven-day candles are tall, jarred candles designed to burn continuously for approximately seven days. These candles are often associated with spiritual devotion and long-term intentions.
They provide a sustained, consistent flame, making them suitable for ongoing rituals or intentions that require an extended period of focus. Seven-day candles can be inscribed with symbols, names, or intentions and can be used for a variety of purposes, including protection, healing, and manifestation.
Burn Time: Approximately Seven Days
How To Choose a Candle
When it comes to candle magic, beeswax candles are excellent because of the correspondence and symbolism of bees and because it’s a natural product. However, beeswax candles are pretty pricey, so soy candles or anything in your budget is also a great choice.
- Always use a new candle, not one that’s been used previously. When a candle starts burning, it draws energy from emotions and elements surrounding it.
- If a candle has already been influenced by negative energy or vibrations, it will most likely result in poor or unsuccessful results.
How To Dress or Anoint Your Candle
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to dressing a candle, but the technique below illustrates one method. Choose and select whichever approach works for you in your practice! You don’t have to dress or anoint your candle if you don’t want to. Simply choosing a corresponding candle color will be fine.
Cleanse your candle
You can do this with Moon Water, smoke, crystals, moonlight, or the cleansing method of your choice. Some practitioners feel that simply focusing your gratitude and positive energy on your candle is enough to cleanse it thoroughly.
Intentions are an essential aspect of candle magic. Infuse the candle with your energy, determination, and power by being precise about what you seek in your intentions.
Carve spiritual symbols of meaning to you into your candle that are personal to you. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Norse Elder Futhark Runes
- Celtic Ogham Alphabet
- Create Your Own Sigils
- Protection Sigil
- Sacred Geometry
- Magic Element Symbols
- Theban Witches Alphabet
- Any other Pagan or Witch symbol
Add Oils, Herbs, or Spit
- Adding oils and herbs gives your spell or intention a bit of extra oomph. Cover your candle in a natural oil like olive, almond, jojoba, grapeseed, or coconut; avoid using too much oil, or it may affect how it burns. Oil helps to create a pathway for your desire to manifest in the physical world. Also, don’t use anything flammable like Florida Water.
- You may also choose to add spit or blood to your candle. Many spiritual practitioners prefer this method because not only is it very personal, but also free! I like to add some coffee grounds to hurry the spell along.
If you’re using a candle in a glass jar or a seven-day candle, try poking holes into the candle (a metal kabob skewer works well), allowing it to burn more evenly and eliminating the oil from sitting on top of the candle.
- Rubbing the oil from the top of the candle down to the bottom will call in energies to you (like for money or abundance spells). However, rubbing the oil from the bottom to the top of the candle removes or calls things away for you (like for removing hexes or negative energy).
- Continue focusing your intentions on the candle as you dress it with oils. Remember incorporating symbolism and meaning into your magic gives it so much power and focuses your energy.
- Next, consider your desired outcome and add herbs with corresponding properties to your candle.
For example, Lavender’s magical properties include joy, love, peace, luck, and protection. So if your goal consists of any of those intentions, you’d add lavender to your candle.
- Herbs are an essential element of many spiritual rituals because they are from Nature and vibrate with the earth’s energy.
How To Burn Candles
You want to burn candles in a fire-safe container, and it’s perfectly acceptable to simply use candle holders. However, many spiritual practitioners use something a little bigger. This is to create room to add herbs, your petition, or salt around your burning candle.
Pie plates work really well for this! If you’re looking for a budget-friendly idea, try disposable pans from Amazon or the Dollar Store. Wine bottles work great with taper candles! Personally, I purchased a small 6.5″ cast iron pan, and it’s always worked well for me.
Pro Tip: There are so many budget-friendly options for Candle Magic supplies at the Dollar Store. You can find jute (for binding), herbs (spice section), paper (parchment paper rolls), essential oils, and so many different types of candles.
How To Do Candle Magic
The practice of lighting candles is the act of illuminating yourself and your spirituality. Candle magic can be easily customized to fit your needs, intentions, and your unique method. (LOL, why does that sound like an advertisement?)
Customizing Your Candle Magic
To begin, make sure your candles are clear of defects, as these reduce the candle’s magical potency. Situate your candle in a cleansed space where it will be free from disturbances, creating a sacred and undisturbed environment.
- Choose candles of different colors to align with specific intentions. Each color holds its own symbolism and energy.
- Consider anointing your candles with oils or herbs corresponding with your intention.
- A candle holder or container adds an extra layer of intention and connection with your candle magic ritual when it holds personal value to you. This could be a cherished heirloom, a handmade vessel, or an item representing your spiritual beliefs.
- If you feel comfortable, say an affirmation, spell, or intention out loud as you light the candle; this helps infuse your ritual with the power of your voice.
- Try writing your affirmation, spell, or intention on a piece of paper and place it beneath your candle while it burns. This is called a petition paper and will help add some additional magical oomph to your candle magic. Remember to add a bit of oil or herbs to your petition paper as well. I simply burn the petition paper in the candle flame to release my intentions.
- Remember to keep a journal or grimoire dedicated to your candle magic or divination work. This is a valuable tool for reflection, tracking progress, and refining your candle magic techniques over time
Rituals and Timing in Candle Magic
- Place your candle in a cleansed, sacred space and return to it at about the same time each night to focus on your goal until the candle is finished or for a set number of nights. Keep a watch on the flame and pay attention to how it moves.
- You’ll find many spiritual practitioners prefer to burn a candle down entirely for the spell or intention to release and be complete fully. Due to this, they’ll often buy smaller candles.
- However, this is not required, and I know many practitioners will extinguish the flame with a candle snuffer (this is the one I use) and come back to it every day. They will sit and continue meditating and focusing on their intention until it burns down completely. It’s believed the daily ritual will increase the spell’s power.
- Spend time focusing on your desire or intention as it burns to help charge your candle. Watch the candle flame and pay attention to how it moves and reacts because it holds deeper meanings and insights.
- You can choose to perform certain spells and intentions during certain corresponding moon phases. For example, if you’re focusing on manifestations or fresh starts, the new moon would be an excellent time to work your candle magic.
- Dispose of the remaining candle bits by burying or burning them; don’t throw them in the garbage because it’s disrespectful. Now release the intention from your mind and allow it to work as you go about your daily life.
Manifestation Candle Ritual and Spell
Here is a simple manifestation candle ritual for beginners. Feel free to customize it to your individual needs.
- Consider the changes you want to make in your life. Be detailed, genuine, positive, and compassionate. Try journaling about it for a little bit if you need help focusing or clarifying your thoughts.
- Focus your intentions into a short sentence and write it down
- Using a white candle, hold it in your hands and visualize your spells or intention as if it has already come to fruition. Use your five senses to fully bring it into your mind and experience all the emotions you would feel. Focus on your breathwork and release any tension or anxiety.
- Light your candle and repeat this chant as many times as you feel is necessary:
I am grateful for the abundance I experience in my life
I am worthy of love, kindness, and respect
I use my magic and power to bring (state your intention) into my life
I welcome and continue to honor prosperity each day
Candle Magic Divination
Candle divination is prevalent in many spiritual practices and is the belief that a candle’s flame, smoke, or wax will provide insight into the future. When it comes to candle magic, it can indicate your spell or intention’s potential outcome.
The most popular methods are:
- Capnomancy – Smoke divination
- Ceromancy – Wax divination by dropping it into water or letting candle melt
- Pyromancy – When used with candles, it represents flame divination
Another type of candle divination involves using multiple candles to give you an answer or help guide you in the best direction –
A Multi-Candle Divination
Set up as many identical candles in holder as you have choices facing you. If you wish an answer to a simple question, use two candles: one for yes, one for no.
In an area free of breezes, name each candle after one of your choices and light them.
The first to burn down and sputter out is your best bet.Scott Cunningham, Earth Power Techniques of Natural Magic
Where Do I Buy Candles for Candle Magic?
Buying candles to use in your spiritual practice is a very personal choice. Find what resonates with you most and the meaning you have behind it.
There is often debate about purchasing online versus in person. The choice is, of course, completely up to you, but I buy my candles on Amazon and have never had a problem. Remember, you can also buy some simple ones at the Dollar store!
I hope you found this article about candle magic helpful!! Lots of love to you, and remember, as always…