When the Black Moon of 2023 rises, it’s often associated with mystery because they don’t occur as often as the monthly New moons. For pagans, witches, and other spiritual practitioners, they’re a time of good luck. A time to rest, quiet self-reflection, and a fantastic opportunity for manifesting.
Every full moon has its own name based on the month or the season in which it appears. Creating a name for each full Moon allowed people to reflect on each season and how it affects them AND the natural world. There can be some variation on the Full Moon names due to the origins from whence they came.
Most Full Moon names are English translations of Native American names; others are rooted in Celtic, European (Anglo-Saxon and Germanic), and more recent Neo-Pagan origins. I created a guide to each Full Moon, complete with their meanings and how you can celebrate
Please note that I make every effort to ensure this information is correct and accurate through my own experiences and referencing sources throughout AND at the bottom of this article.
Posts on this site may contain affiliate links that allow me to earn a small commission from your purchases (at no extra cost to you!)
What is a Black Moon?
A Black Moon is a modern term, very similar to the definition of a Blue Moon but is associated with two NEW MOONS within a specific time period (see definitions below) instead of two FULL MOONS.
While a Black Moon is not an astronomical term, it is celebrated by those interested in Nature Spirituality (Pagans, Witches, Wiccans, etc.). A Black Moon’s meaning is associated with prosperity and good fortune.
There are three ways a black moon might occur; let’s break down each type below!
Calendrical Black Moon
A calendrical Black Moon occurs when two New Moons appear in the same calendar month. This is the most universally accepted meaning of a Black Moon.
Seasonal Black Moon 2023
A seasonal Black Moon occurs when there is an extra New Moon in a season, determined by the equinoxes and solstices. The third is considered a Black Moon whenever there are four New Moons in a season.
In 2023, a Seasonal Black Moon occurs in May
February Black Moon Month
Since a lunar month or cycle lasts 29.53 days and February is only 28 – 29 days, this can create two events. The first involves February not having a NEW Moon, and January and March would have two NEW Moons.
The second event involves February not having a FULL Moon, and January and March would have two FULL Moons.
Both these events create a Black Moon Month for February.
When is the Next Black Moon in 2023?
In 2023, a Black Moon rises on May 19th. Don’t feel discouraged that you can’t see it in the sky above you. Let the darkness envelop you and create a cozy space for you to feel warm and safe.
Black Moons and New Moons are peaceful and relaxing moments in the lunar cycle.
Black Moon Spiritual Meaning and Intentions
Black Moons are a unique and magical time because they’re rare. Some spiritual practitioners believe Black Moons hold a more potent and powerful time for magical rituals.
Black Moons are intensified New Moons, which are lovely for manifestations, creativity, new chances, and opportunities. Now is the time to advance into your power and most authentic self. A Black Moon’s spiritual meaning is an excellent time for setting intentions and manifestation.
This lunar cycle is connected with increased intuition, spiritual growth, and self-awareness. During this time, you can connect with your higher power and gain clarity on your life’s purpose. Allow yourself to relax, let go, and allow new opportunities and experiences into your life.
Black Moons show you what limitations are holding you back. Release these limiting beliefs to make way for new beginnings in your life.
What’s the difference between a Black Moon, New Moon, and a Dark Moon?
As I discussed above, a Black Moon is when two NEW MOONS occur within a specific time period. However, there is often confusion about the difference between a Dark Moon and New Moon.
A Dark Moon happens about two days before the New Moon lunar cycle when the Moon is not observable and the night sky is totally dark.
A New Moon is the START of a new lunar cycle and is marked by the appearance of the thinnest crescent appearing in the night sky.
When is the Next Dark Moon?
A Dark Moon rises approximately two days before the monthly New Moon lunar cycle. The moon cannot be seen during this time, and the night sky is completely dark.
FYI, the night of a Dark Moon is the absolute BEST TIME for stargazing! My husband and I love to take a night drive away from city lights to look at the night sky. I use the Star Walk app (not sponsored, I truly love it) to identify constellations, satellites, and other points of interest.
One time, we saw a flashing effect created by the reflective surface of a tumbling satellite. I didn’t even know those existed before that! It was so beautiful, and I’ll never forget it.
Black Moon Meaning Correspondences
A Black Moon’s meaning can differ for every spiritual practitioner, depending on their personal journey. It’s incredibly powerful and can help you see lessons you didn’t realize you needed.
Black Moon Meaning and Intentions
- New Opportunities
Feel free to use any crystals that resonate with you or those associated with the intentions above. Here are a few of my favorites to help get you started.
- Green Aventurine
Black Moon 2023 Journal Prompts
- What activities AND/OR people raise your vibration and bring you the most joy? What are you doing, or who are you with when you feel the most at peace? When can you be your most authentic self?
- In what ways do you feel abundance right now?
- Make a list of at least ten things you’re grateful for and how they make you smile.
- I do this at the end of each month. Then at the end of the year, I have 120 things that made me smile. It’s helpful when setting your intentions for the upcoming year because you can easily see what brings you the most joy, and you know what to prioritize.
- What future plans are you excited about?
- Are you living life to the fullest potential? Why or why not? What actions can you continue or change?
- What stage are you at in life? Life is long, and you have so many years left! What are you going to do with them?
How I Celebrate the Black Moon 2023
Here are a few ways to help you reconnect and realign with Black Moon’s spiritual meaning in 2023! If you’re looking for more ritual ideas, check out Full Moon Rituals You Need To Know.
Creativity and Self-Reflection
How have you been expressing your creativity lately? Let go of unnecessary obligations and fully immerse yourself in creative projects that let you be present and in the moment.
Start a new art project, craft with the seasons, garden, or whatever your favorite creative outlet is!
Since a Black Moon is a time for self-reflection, use some of the writing prompts above to journal. For a fun twist, try to answer them by doing an art journal page. Don’t use any words, just images and colors.
Black Moon Water
Create Moon Water by pouring water into a mason jar or glass vessel of your choice and placing it beneath the Black Moon. Don’t worry that you cannot see the moon; its magical energy is still there!
Use your Moon Water for anything that correlates with the Black Moon meanings above. If you’re looking for ideas, here’s a list of 50 creative ways to use Moon Water.
Black Moon Release Ritual
Sitting outside or next to an open window, find a calm and peaceful place where you will not be disturbed. Get comfortable in any position that allows you to breathe freely and comfortably. Relax and center yourself. Close your eyes if you’d like, and become aware of your energy and space.
Light a cone or stick of your favorite incense. Choose a scent that brings you happiness, joy, and a sense of calm.
Take a moment to reflect on the spiritual meaning of a Black Moon. Now is truly a time of good luck, positive magical energy, and momentum. There is no space for negativity, unwanted habits, or limiting beliefs.
Watch the smoke swirl around you and float away. Imagine whatever you want to release floating far away along with the smoke. Feel it leaving your body and let it go freely.
While you allow the incense to burn down completely, think of all the things you’re grateful for in your life. Open yourself to all the possibilities and amazing things to come.
Complete your ritual by thanking the Black Moon for its beautiful positive energy. Sprinkle your incense ash outside or shake it away out the window, returning your positive intentions to Nature.
Future Black Moon Dates
According to Time and Date, here are the upcoming Black Moon dates:
- May 19th, 2023 (seasonal Black Moon)
- November 30th, 2024 (calendrical Black Moon)
- August 23rd, 2025 (seasonal Black Moon)
2023 Full Moon Calendar
There will be TWO supermoons in August (including a Blue Moon) for a total of 13 full moons this year. Below is a schedule for 2023 Full Moons, including dates, times, and links if you’d like to read more in-depth.
- January Full Wolf Moon January 6th, 2023, reaching its peak at 6:08 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
- February Full Snow Moon – February 5th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 1:29 pm EST.
- March Full Worm Moon March 7th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 7:40 am EST.
- April Pink Moon April 6th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 12:34 a.m. EST
- May Full Flower Moon May 5th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 1:34 p.m. EST
- June Full Strawberry Moon June 3rd, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 11:42 p.m. EST
- July Full Buck Moon July 3rd, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 7:39 a.m. EST
- August Full Sturgeon Moon August 1st, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 2:31 p.m. EST
- What is a Blue Moon and How To Celebrate August 30th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 9:36 p.m. EST
- September Harvest September 29th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 5:57 a.m. EST
- October Full Hunter Moon October 28th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 4:24 p.m. EST
- November Beaver Moon November 27th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 4:16 a.m. EST
- December Full Cold Moon December 26th, 2023, reaching its peak illumination at 7:33 p.m. EST
Lunar Eclipse Schedule in 2023
In 2023 there will be TWO LUNAR eclipses!
The first is called a Penumbral Lunar Eclipse, which takes place during May’s Full Flower Moon. This eclipse is barely visible and will only slightly block the Full Moon. It will be visible in Europe, Asia, Australia, Antarctica, Africa, and the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans.
The second will be a Partial Lunar Eclipse taking place during October’s Full Hunter’s Moon. It will be visible in North America, Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, and most of South America, as well as the Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic, and Indian Oceans.
Solar Eclipse Schedule in 2023
In 2023 there will be TWO SOLAR eclipses!
- April 20th, 2023 – Total Solar Eclipse visible in Australia, Asia, Antarctica, and the Indian and Pacific oceans.
- October 14th, 2023 – Annular SOLAR eclipse (when the moon passes between the sun and the earth, creating a “ring of fire.”) Visible in North America, South America, and the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic oceans.
2023 Supermoon Schedule
In 2023, there will be TWO supermoons in August (including a Blue Moon)!
- August 1st, 2023
- August 30th, 2023
Note: There are no defined rules for how close the Moon must travel to earth to qualify as a supermoon. Depending on how you choose to define a supermoon, there could also be one in July and one in September. However, they don’t orbit as close to the earth as the August Moons.
I hope you enjoy the Black Moon 2023! Lots of love to you, and remember, as always…