Dark Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
I created a guide to Moon Magic including each Full Moon complete with their meanings and how you can celebrate. You can check out the full series at the bottom of this post.
Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links which allow me to earn a small commission from the purchases you make (at no extra cost to you!)
Dark Moon Spiritual Meaning And Intentions
The Dark Moon is a guardian of the shadows, full of mystery, and your ride-or-die partner when it comes to keeping your soul’s secrets safe. During a Dark Moon, you can focus on shadow and internal work safe from judgment.
Sometimes referred to as the Balsamic Moon, the Dark Moon occurs approximately two days before the New Moon when the sky is completely dark. Once the last bit of light from the waning moon disappears, but before the faintest shimmering crescent light of the New Moon appears is known as the Dark Moon.
The Dark Moon spiritual meaning is associated with stillness and wisdom. It’s still connected to the previous lunar cycle and provides a significant void to rest and reflect as this cycle comes to a close.
Renewing our passion for life, the Dark Moon can help us recharge and pursue our dreams with gusto! How’s that for some inspirational moon magic?
What’s the difference between a New Moon, Dark Moon, and Black Moon?
A Dark Moon is the phase that takes place about two days before the New Moon when the Moon is not visible, and the sky is completely dark.
A New Moon starts when the faintest crescent appears in the sky and symbolizes the beginning of a new lunar cycle.
A Black Moon is when two New Moons take place in a calendar month or seasonal cycle.
Dark Moon Correspondences
Dark Moon Spiritual Meaning and Intentions
- Clearing Out The Old
- Rest (emotionally, physically, and mentally)
(Any crystals associated with the intentions mentioned above)
- Peacock Ore
Dark Moon Journal Prompts For Spiritual Meaning
- Take a moment to congratulate yourself on any achievements you’ve had recently! Bask in the happiness and pride in your hard work.
- What destructive habits from this last moon cycle would you like to let die? How can you change them going forward?
- What obstacle might hold you back from achieving your intentions or manifestations? What steps can you take to avoid or remove this obstacle?
- What is a thought or story you tell yourself that you need to release?
- How do you lie to yourself daily? What are you hiding from or trying to avoid?
Dark Moon Ritual Ideas and How To Celebrate
Disconnect From Technology
Since the Dark Moon is a time for stillness and reflection, it’s vitally essential to slow down and pause. Now is a fantastic time for introspective thoughts and intention setting, but it’s tough to listen to your inner voice when you’re constantly distracted or interrupted.
To think original thoughts, we must put a stop to constant stimulation.Manoush Zomorodi, Bored and Brilliant
Put technology away and just let yourself be bored. Become aware of where your thoughts wander.
- What do you daydream about?
- In what areas of your life are you experiencing stress?
- What is your body telling you?
- What emotions are you feeling?
We live in such a fast-paced world, but this is a time to live slowly, be still, and focus on some serious self-love. Make some time for rest, self-reflection, and stillness as the Dark Moon fills you with sweet, calm energy.
Dark Moon Meditation Ritual
Find a peaceful room where you will not be disturbed.
Using only a candle or two, embrace the Dark Moon ambiance with dark candle colors like black, dark purple, navy blue, or a deep red.
Try wearing headphones and listening to a guided meditation or a hertz frequency of your choice. I find frequencies in the 400 range most relaxing.
Relax and center yourself. Close your eyes and become aware of your energy and space. Welcome and accept the dark. Let it envelop you.
If you’d like to embrace the darkness even further, use a sleep mask or wrap a scarf around your eyes.
Focus your thoughts on the darkness of the Moon and let yourself slip into a meditation of stillness and peace.
Dark Moon Journaling
Beneath a Dark Moon, you feel cloaked in darkness, kept safe and protected for deep inner and shadow work. Clear your schedule and spend some time alone. Remove all distractions to focus on your spiritual mindset.
Use this time to reflect and journal your thoughts. You can even try some shadow work journal prompt ideas to get you started. Feel these emotions as they flow out of you and onto the paper. Talk to yourself or ask questions.
This work will be so helpful to reflect on during the New Moon phase in a few days. By giving yourself a few days before re-reading what you wrote, you’ll give yourself the ability to be objective.
Shadow work is rarely glamourous. It’s raw and emotional as you work through traumas, fears, and experiences in your life that have caused you great pain or suffering.
You may have been the culprit in these scenarios. By acknowledging aspects of your personality, you can become accountable for your own actions ad how you’d like to change or do better going forward.
Through this challenging work, you can become wiser, healthier, and better able to handle new challenges that you may face in the future.
Dark Moon Bath or Shower
Another way to enjoy some solitude is while bathing or showering. You can make this as elaborate or as simple as you like. Here are a few ideas to get you started –
- Shut off all the lights and illuminate your bathroom with a single candle
- Use some of your favorite scents either during the bath/shower or with creams and lotions when you’re done
- Use a bath or shower bomb for added serenity. Relax and feel any stress or tension leave your body and flow into the water or down the drain
- Play nature sounds, hertz frequencies, or instrumental music
Visit A Dark Sky Park
Stargazing is always a wonderful way to connect with a Dark Moon, but sometimes there’s too much light pollution for the best views. In fact, the United States Department of Energy states that we don’t use approximately 35% of the light that we create. This costs just over 3 billion dollars and 21 million tons of carbon dioxide each year.
Dark Sky Parks and Reserves have taken steps to reduce light emitted at night. In doing so, it’s eliminated substantial amounts of light waste.
A Dark Moon makes for some optimal starry night and milky way views! You can find an International Dark Sky Park near you here or an International Dark Sky Reserve here.
You can check out more of the Full Moon series here:
- How To Make Moon Water
- 50 Creative Ways to Use Moon Water
- New Moon Rituals, Intentions, Spiritual Meaning, and Correspondences
- Blue Moon Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- Black Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
- January Full Wolf Moon -Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- February Full Snow Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- February Snow Moon Guided Mediation
- March Full Worm Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- April Full Pink Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- May Full Flower Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and Rituals
- June Full Strawberry Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- July Full Buck Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- August Full Sturgeon Moon Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and Rituals
- September’s Harvest or Corn Full Moon Meaning
- October’s Blood or Harvest Full Moon Meaning and How To Celebrate
- November Full Hunter or Beaver Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
- December Full Cold Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
I hope you found the Dark Moon spiritual meaning helpful! Lots of love to you and remember as always…