The Moon has long been associated with spirituality and the supernatural. Each month, the Moon goes through a different cycle that is said to have an effect on our emotions, behavior, and physical health. The May Full Flower Moon meaning is a time to focus on your spiritual growth. This full moon is all about blossoming into your best self and reaching your highest potential.
You are an amazing and beautiful person! Now is the time to be inspired! Take a chance! Do something EPIC!
Every full moon has its own name based on the month or the season in which it appears. Creating a name for each full Moon allowed people to reflect on each season and how it affects them AND the natural world. There can be some variation on the Full Moon names due to the origins from whence they came.
Although the majority of Full Moon names are English translations of Native American names, others are rooted in Celtic, European (Anglo-Saxon and Germanic), and more recent Neo-Pagan origins. I created a guide to each Full Moon complete with their meanings and how you can celebrate.
Please note that I make every effort to ensure this information is correct and accurate through my own experiences and referencing sources at the bottom AND throughout this article.
Posts on this site may contain affiliate links that allow me to earn a small commission from your purchases (at no extra cost to you!)
What Time is the Flower Moon in May 2022 At Its Peak?
In 2022, May’s Full Moon is called the Flower Moon. Depending on where you live, the Moon will reach its peak late Sunday night of the 15th or early Monday morning of the 16th at 12:14 a.m Eastern Standard Time.
Is There A Lunar Eclipse In 2022?
Yes! Depending on where you live, late Sunday night (15th) or during early morning hours on Monday (16th) there will be a Total Lunar Eclipse lasting around an hour and a half. During the eclipse, the moon will appear as a reddish hue.
The peak of the eclipse will be at 12:11 AM [Eastern Standard Time] on Monday morning, May 16. The Moon will begin emerging from the full shadow at 12:54 AM and finish emerging from the full shadow at 1:55 AM. The Moon will not finish exiting the partial shadow until 2:51 AM, but the subtle shading of this last part of the eclipse will be difficult to notice.NASA – Full Moon Guide: April – May 2022
Flower Moon Spiritual Meaning
The Full Moon of May is named the Flower Moon to symbolize – you guessed it – all the flowers that are bursting into bloom during May. The last bit of frost is ending, and soil that was recently hard and cold is now bursting with life and possibilities.
May’s Flower Moon embodies all the spirit and energy of the Beltane and the Spring season. The days continue to grow longer, the warmer temperatures continue to increase, and Mother Nature is in full bloom.
Nature is celebrating the joyous and lighthearted appearance of life with lush green leaves, rosebuds, lighthearted butterflies, and determined honey bees. May’s Flower Moon’s spiritual meaning is about love, laughter, celebration, and pleasure. Now is a strong time for potent magical energy!
May’s Flower Moon signifies both fertility and healing. It is sometimes known as the Hare Moon because we know what they’re up to this time of year. We’re talking about some serious fertility people! Flowers and herbs used for medicinal purposes are now flourishing. Remember that we’re still in the season of Beltane and some folks believe this Full Moon is an auspicious time for those trying to conceive.
Flower Moon Alternative Names
- Dancing Moon (Tahch’ahipu) Tunica, Tunica-Biloxi Tribe of Louisiana
- Milk Moon (Anglo-Saxon) from the Old English Rimilcemona. They called it the Milk Moon because cows were more frequently this time of year!
- Planting Month (anisgvti) Cherokee, Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, North Carolina
- Hare Moon (Celtic)
- Blossom Moon (waabigwani-giizis) Anishnaabe (Chippewa, Ojibwe) Great Lakes
- Season When the Leaves Are Green Apache Southern Plains
- Moon of Mulberry (Hash Bihi) Choctaw Southeast, Mississippi, Louisiana
For a list of even more Native American Moon names check out American Indian Alaska Native Tourism Association’s article here or Western Washington University’s article here.
Flower Moon Spiritual Meaning Correspondences
The spiritual meaning of May’s Full Flower Moon is a powerful time for hopeful intentions, magic, joy, and happiness. To get you started, here are some spiritual correspondences and intentions!
Flower Moon Meaning and Intentions
How To Celebrate and Ritual Ideas
Now is the time to bring goals and dreams to life. You might need to answer some hard questions about yourself and what needs to happen to make your intentions materialize. Don’t let anxiety or nervousness hold you back.
Make sure you don’t overwhelm yourself with your big dreams. Take some time to meditate or journal on how you plan to create balance. Create small, actionable, authentic, and practical steps to bring your goals to life! Make sure to include plenty of rest to avoid burnout. This season is about play as much as it is action! Splurge a little and have some fun! Get out in Nature and don’t forget to bring loved ones along!
If you’re looking for even more ideas check out Full Moon Rituals You Need To Know!
Lunar Infused Tea
Instead of sun tea, try a lunar-infused tea! Water and herbs can easily manifest the energy of the moon. Similar to creating Moon Water, meditate with the jar in your hands, focus, and visualize your goals and intentions before leaving the infusion to sit out all night beneath the Moon.
In the morning, you’re left with a delicious and nourishing cold tea, ready to enjoy. Make sure to whisper your gratitude to the Moon before you walk away.
You could also create simple (non infused) Moon Water to anoint an object that’s closely related to your intentions. You could add it to money (wealth), your face or skin (beauty or health), a woman’s stomach (fertility), or your home’s doorway (protection or positive energy). If you’re going to ingest the magic Moon water, I would suggest using bottled or filtered water. Check out this post if you’re looking for 50 Creative Ways To Use Your Moon Water.
Embrace Floral Intentions
We’ve all heard the phrase “stop and smell the roses”, but rarely do we do so! Find a way to slow down and take pleasure in the floral beauty all around. Think of creative ways to incorporate them into your life or hobbies. Make it specific for the time of year using plants that are starting to bloom and grow. Mint, lilacs, pansies, dandelions, etc. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Press flowers that you can use in your journal, grimoire, a card, gift tag, or use for artwork. Adding to a grimoire or journal page can be a great reference for later. You can include all the information you know about this specific flower.
- Integrate some into your baking or cooking. It would be wonderful in bread, salad, or tea. You could create sugar flowers to add to cakes or cookies. You could even try my Enchanting Flower and Herb Spread.
- Make stovetop potpourri
- Include some in a sachet bag you can place under your pillow or in a drawer
- Create rosewater or another floral water. You can incorporate it into rituals, on your altar, or simply spray your linens with
- Mix with some bath salts and use for a bath
- If you enjoy creating your own paper, adding flowers creates a wonderful botanical aesthetic
- Mix with any other herbs you have to create your own eco-friendly smoke cleanser
- Create a homemade salve, oil, or lotion for a Flower Moon meditation ritual.
- Add to candles or soap
If you’re short on time, keep it simple and buy yourself some fresh flowers. Don’t forget to fully slow down, indulge in their beauty, and enjoy their sweet scent.
Every Full Moon is a particularly abundant and intense time for Moon magic. Since it’s so much warmer during the Flower Moon, try meditating outdoors immersed in the moonlight. You could even try going skyclad if you feel comfortable. Visualize a dazzling pure white light pouring out, cleansing, and restoring you and your crystals with Moon magic. Relax under the Moon’s soothing light as you inhale all of Nature’s beauty.
If you’re looking for a May Flower Moon Guided Meditation check out MAY FLOWER FULL MOON MEDITATION RITUAL FOR MANIFESTATION AND SPIRITUALITY!
The Flower Moon is a wonderful time to enjoy your garden. Start some seedlings, or buy some young plants from the farmer’s market or a nearby nursery. Talking to your plants as you find their new home is a great way to connect with Nature. While they won’t talk back, they are living things and grow much stronger with love and affection. Try meditating next to them after they’re planted and imagine what your garden will look like in full bloom.
Another great way to connect with the Flower Moon is harvesting herbs by moonlight. You could also water them beneath the Moon drenched in the glorious light. It’s been said that moonlight charges the water on a Full Moon and can benefit your plants. Some folks even plant their garden according to the phases of the moon.
Flower Moon Journal Prompts For Spirituality
Another great way to celebrate the Flower moon is by journaling your thoughts and intentions. Here are some prompts to get you started:
- What goals or intentions have you set to manifest during this cycle? How can you bring them to fruition?
- What have you planted in your garden? What do you plan to do with your harvest? (I live in zone 6 and start planting this time of year. However, if you need to wait a bit longer to start planting, why not draw out your garden plans? Maybe start some seeds in a container.)
- How did you decorate your altar or sacred space with crystals, oils, candles, flowers, or personal items you love?
- Since we’re in the season of Beltane, write about the abundance you have in your life. Not materialistically, but spiritually and emotionally
You can check out more of the Full Moon series here:
- January Full Wolf Moon -Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- February Full Snow Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- March Full Worm Moon Spiritual Meaning and Beautiful Rituals
- Pink Moon: The Fascinating Spiritual Meaning of April’s Full Moon
- June Full Strawberry Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- July Full Buck Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- August Full Sturgeon Moon Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and Rituals
- September’s Harvest or Corn Full Moon Meaning
- October’s Blood or Harvest Full Moon Meaning and How To Celebrate
- November Full Hunter or Beaver Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
- December Full Cold Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
- Dark Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
- New Moon Rituals, Intentions, Spiritual Meaning, and Correspondences
- Blue Moon Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- Black Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
I hope you enjoy May Flower Moon 2022 spiritual meaning, lots of love to you, and remember as always…