I created a guide to Moon Magic including each Full Moon complete with their meanings and how you can celebrate. You can check out the full series at the bottom of this post.
Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links which allow me to earn a small commission from the purchases you make (at no extra cost to you!)
New Moon Spiritual Meaning And Intentions
The New Moon is the start of a new lunar cycle and appears as a very thin and delicate crescent in the sky.
A common question about the New Moon is, how do I make New Moon water or set intentions when the New Moon isn’t visible?
Sometimes the New Moon is below the horizon or such a faint sliver that it’s hard to see. However, it’s still there! The New Moon still affects the tides, and its energy will always be prevalent even if you can’t see it.
The New Moon’s spiritual meaning symbolizes a very peaceful and tranquil moment in the lunar cycle. It’s a time of new beginnings and renewal.
The New Moon is a reset and a chance to start again, giving you a clean slate. This is why the New Moon is associated with manifestation work and intention setting.
New Moon Correspondences
New Moon Spiritual Meaning and Intentions
- Fresh starts
- Setting Intentions
- Shadow work
- New opportunities
(Any crystals associated with the intentions mentioned above)
- Clear Quartz
New Moon Journal Prompts For Spiritual Meaning
- What truly motivates you?
- Release habits that need to die and create new ideas for the future. Write down a list of 5 – 10 intentions you’d like to set. Then narrow it down to 3 you can focus on for your rituals.
- What interests or hobbies do you have that can fuel your spirituality in creative ways? What habit can you start now to bring more creativity into your life?
- Visualize what you want your life to look like. Using all five senses, write about it in detail.
- What is your favorite way to distract yourself that makes you feel delighted?
- What goals would you like to achieve by the next Full Moon? (Keep them small and actionable)
- How can you find more joy during this lunar cycle? How can you slow down and live in the present moment?
New Moon Rituals and How To Celebrate
New Moon Ritual for Letting Go
Write a goodbye letter to something that is no longer serving you. This may be a habit, relationship, or anything you’re ready to let go of. Burn this letter outside beneath the New Moon to fully release it and let go.
Release anxiety, anger, guilt, shame, fears, stress, and old habits using the affirmation below.
New Moon Ritual Affirmation For Letting Go
While you practice the ritual above you can choose to speak or think the following affirmation.
I choose to release negative habits, thoughts, anxiety, and [choose something specific to you]. My knowing spirit is ready to journey into the path I desire and to begin receiving new opportunities.
Thank the New Moon for the beautiful energy, and spend a few moments meditating. Imagine yourself filling up with positivity, love, peace, freedom, and Moonlight energy.
Host a New Moon Party
The Full Moon always gets a lot of attention, but the New Moon has plenty to offer as well! You can choose to make it extravagant or simple! Here are a few ideas to get you started –
- Create manifestation/vision boards together. Everyone can bring materials and supplies (old magazines, images, paints, scissors, markers, glue, tape, etc). Create a big free for all and have fun! Play fun music and set intentions together.
- Make it a potluck, but mix it up with a theme. You can have everyone bring a new recipe they’ve wanted to try, a secret family recipe, or only allow seasonal foods.
- Have everyone dress in a theme by wearing a specific color or style
- Crystal swap
- Have everyone bring an item that will help create a sacred space or vibe for the party, like music, candles, incense, crystals, flowers, antiques, drinks, pillows, blankets, etc.
- If someone is knowledgeable on a particular topic, have them teach it to the group (tarot, crystal meanings, runes, herbalism, gardening, journaling, seasonal crafting, cooking, etc.)
New Moon Ritual Intention For Manifestation
Find a peaceful spot where you will not be disturbed. Make it sacred to you. Light a candle, add crystals, and play the music that makes you feel the emotions you’ll experience when your manifestation comes to fruition.
Write your manifestations as if they’ve already happened. Keep your thoughts and intentions positive for this New Moon ritual. Feel free to think or chant the affirmation below.
New Moon Ritual Affirmation For Positive Manifestation Intentions
I am aligned with the Moon and the Universe. The energy of this New Moon is providing me with abundance and helping to manifest my best Self. I attract and welcome new ideas and beliefs easily into my life.
[Now include a personal phrase that’s specific to your intention. Remember to use positive words and avoid negativity. An example might be, “I am grateful to have all the money I need. Wealth is a natural part of my life.”
Once your affirmation ritual is complete, you can keep it someone you’ll frequently see it, put it into a manifestation journal, or burn it to send out the intentions into the universe.
Remember, small manifestations or project ideas should not be overlooked. Include a manageable manifestation, something you can achieve by the next Full Moon. Focus on the simple pleasures in life and concentrate on becoming more present in the small daily moments. Don’t forget to thank the Moon!
Self-Care New Moon Ritual
Self-care is an overused term nowadays, but we all know it’s important to slow down, be present, and enjoy this moment. We’ve barely left the Dark Moon phase to embrace the New Moon, and we’re still in that slow-moving state of mind. There’s no reason to rush out of it!
Here are a few ideas to get you started, but don’t let them limit you! Celebrate whatever brings you the most joy!
- Craft a cup of magical tea using herbs with intentions you’d like to manifest
- Read a book for pleasure
- Make a list of 10 things you love about yourself
- Treat yourself to a massage
- Be out in Nature, bonus points for meditation and grounding
- Work on a creative project
- Spend hours in your local library
- Bake or cook something delicious and eat it without any distractions
- Make a list of your greatest accomplishments you’re most proud of
- Do a guided meditation
- Help someone in need
- Create a playlist full of songs that bring you pure joy
- Learn a new skill by watching YouTube videos or reading a non-fiction book
The New Moon is a fantastic moment to do some divinations work through Rune Casting, Oracle cards, tarot, or whatever your preference! It can help to guide you throughout this next lunar cycle. Here are a few questions to get you started –
- What can I do to bring my goals and intentions to fruition during this New Moon?
- What thoughts should I let go of to bring my dreams to fulfillment?
- How can I change my perspective during this New Moon cycle?
- What do I need to know?
You can check out more of the Full Moon series here:
- How To Make Moon Water
- 50 Creative Ways to Use Moon Water
- Dark Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
- January Full Wolf Moon -Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- February Full Snow Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- February Snow Moon Guided Mediation
- March Full Worm Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- April Full Pink Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- May Full Flower Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and Rituals
- June Full Strawberry Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- July Full Buck Moon | Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and How To Celebrate
- August Full Sturgeon Moon Spiritual Meaning, Symbolism, and Rituals
- September’s Harvest or Corn Full Moon Meaning
- October’s Blood or Harvest Full Moon Meaning and How To Celebrate
- November Full Hunter or Beaver Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
- December Full Cold Moon Spiritual Meaning, Correspondences, and Rituals
- Blue Moon Spiritual Meaning, Definition, and How To Celebrate
- Black Moon Spiritual Meaning and Ritual Intentions
Enjoy the New Moon intentions, rituals, and spiritual meaning, lots of love to you, and remember as always…